Preparing for the Future of Transportation: Automated Vehicle 3.0 – Announcement On October 4, 2018, U.S. DOT published Preparing for the Future of Transportation: Automated Vehicles 3.0 (AV 3.0). The event was web casted live and a docket (Docket No. DOT-OST-2018-0149) has been opened so that stakeholders and the public can submit their comments on AV 3.0. Read more View the video:

FMCSA Seeks Public Comment on Revising Current Hours-of-Service Regulations for Interstate Truck Drivers

August 21, 2018

Contact: Duane DeBruyne

Tel.: (202) 366-9999




FMCSA Seeks Public Comment on Revising Current Hours-of-Service Regulations for Interstate Truck Drivers


Areas under consideration for revision include short-haul operations, adverse driving conditions, 30-minute break, and split sleeper-berth



WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) today announced that it is seeking public comment on revising four specific areas of current hours-of-service (HOS) regulations, which limit the operating hours of commercial truck drivers.


The upcoming Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (ANPRM), which will be published in the Federal Register, responds to widespread Congressional, industry, and citizen concerns and seeks feedback from the public to determine if HOS revisions may alleviate unnecessary burdens placed on drivers while maintaining safety on our nation’s highways and roads.  The comment period will be open for 30 days.


The four specific areas under consideration for revision are:


·       Expanding the current 100 air-mile “short-haul” exemption from 12 hours on-duty to 14 hours on-duty, in order to be consistent with the rules for long-haul truck drivers;

·       Extending the current 14-hour on-duty limitation by up to two hours when a truck driver encounters adverse driving conditions;

·       Revising the current mandatory 30-minute break for truck drivers after 8-hours of continuous driving; and

·       Reinstating the option for splitting up the required 10-hour off-duty rest break for drivers operating trucks that are equipped with a sleeper-berth compartment.

In addition, the ANPRM seeks public comment and relevant data on two recently submitted petitions requesting regulatory relief from HOS rules (1) pertaining to the 14-hour on-duty limitation (filed by the Owner-Operators Independent Drivers Association) and (2) pertaining to the 10-hour off-duty requirement (filed by TruckerNation).


Earlier this year, the congressionally mandated electronic logging device (ELD) rule, which required most FMCSA-regulated motor carriers to convert their records from paper to an electronic format, became effective. While compliance with the ELD rule has reached nearly 99 percent across the trucking industry, it has also brought focus to HOS regulations, especially with regard to certain regulations having a significant impact on agriculture and other sectors of trucking.


Additional information on the ANPRM, including how to submit comments to the Federal Register docket, is available at


The first in a series of public listening sessions on the ANPRM will take place Friday, August 24, 2018, in Dallas, Texas, at the Kay Bailey Hutchinson Convention Center beginning at 3:00 p.m. local time.  Further information is available at


Information on current HOS regulations is available at


Information on electronic logging devices (ELDs) carried on-board long-haul trucks and used by commercial vehicle enforcement officers to check compliance with HOS regulations is available at




Stay connected with FMCSA and USDOT via: | FMCSA on Facebook | FMCSA on Twitter

Quebec Thaw to start on April 23 for Zone 3 Zone 2 ends on May 18

The purpose of this message is to inform you that the 2018 thaw will start in Québec on April 23rd for the zone 3.

Please note that the date for the end of thaw period in Zone 2 has been changed. The thaw period for the zone 2 will end on May 18th.

During this period, authorized load limits are reduced because the road network load bearing capacity is weakened. Restrictions vary between 8% and 20% according to the vehicle’s type of axles and configuration. For more information, please consult the “Thaw Period – Official dates” page in the “Trucking” section of the of the Ministère des Transports, de la Mobilité durable et de l’Électrification des transports web site.

More Information

We would appreciate if you could forward this information to your members, partners and staff.

Stay informed. If not already done, indicate your subjects of interest so you can get an up to date information about trucking industry in Quebec provided in the bulletin Info Camionnage.


Thank you for your collaboration and best regards,


Dave Henry
Direction générale de la sécurité et du camionnage

Ministère des Transports, de la Mobilité durable et de l’Électrification des transports


Enforcement Personnel on the Lookout for Unsafe Commercial and Passenger Vehicle Drivers During Operation Safe Driver Week, July 15-21

April 9, 2018

The Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance’s (CVSA) Operation Safe Driver Week will take place July 15-21, 2018. Traffic safety personnel will be on the lookout for unsafe driving behaviors by commercial motor vehicle (CMV) drivers and passenger vehicle drivers as we work toward zero deaths on our roadways. Read More

International Roadcheck Set for June 5-7 with Focus on Hours-of-Service Compliance

March 20, 2018

The Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance’s (CVSA) International Roadcheck will take place June 5-7, 2018. Over that 72-hour period, commercial motor vehicle inspectors in jurisdictions throughout North America will conduct inspections of commercial motor vehicles and drivers. This year’s focus is on hours-of-service compliance.

Read More


The New Hampshire Department of Transportation (NHDOT) announces paving work at the Canterbury Rest Area off of Interstate 93 northbound is planned for Monday, April 23, 2018, weather permitting.  Access to the Canterbury Rest Area will be prohibited for several hours from midday into the evening hours.

This work is part of a project consists of pavement rehabilitation, guardrail replacement, slope drainage replacement, pavement rehabilitation at the Canterbury rest area, and widening/reconfiguration of a portion of the Exit 23 northbound off ramp.


I-91 Vermont SB Detour

I-91 SB is now closed from Exit 18 (Barnet) to Exit 17 (Newbury). Traffic is detoured via Bismon Drive, US Route 5 and 302. The closure is planned to last for a 3-week period. We will continue to send update emails regarding completed and planned construction activities throughout the closure period. Contact Jacqueline Dagesse at 



The New Hampshire Department of Transportation (NHDOT) announces the planned two night closure of the I-93 southbound ramp to I-89 northbound for nighttime work on Sunday, April 22 and Monday, April 23, 2018.  The ramp will be closed to traffic from 9:00 pm to 6:00 am each night. 

This work will improve the drainage along the ramp on Sunday night (4/22).  Monday night’s closure will be to repair the pavement areas impacted by the drainage improvements. 

During the two night ramp closure, motorists on I-93 southbound traffic seeking to access I-89 northbound will use Exit 12S on I-93 and follow the detour signs on Route 3A south to Bow junction to I-89 northbound.  The detour is approximately one mile in length. 

This project involves pavement preservation on I-89, beginning at the intersection of NH Route 3A in Bow and continuing north 8.2 miles to Exit 5 in Hopkinton.  Pike Industries Inc. is the prime contractor of the $4.1 million dollar contract that has a final completion date of July 13, 2018.


FMCSA grants rest exemption for fuel haulers

Under certain conditions, fuel trucks can operate for twelve hours a day without triggering the rest break requirement.

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has granted an exemption from the 30-minute rest break requirement for trucks hauling petroleum products. Under certain conditions, fuel trucks can operate for twelve hours a day without triggering the rest break requirement, according to Monday’s announcement.

With this exemption, FMCSA recognized that “these drivers receive several short ‘breaks’ each day when they unload…at service stations.” 

  1. This exemption is limited to motor carriers and drivers engaged in the transportation of the following petroleum products: U.N. 1170— Ethanol, U.N. 1202—Diesel Fuel, U.N. 1203—Gasoline, U.N. 1863—Fuel, aviation, turbine engine, U.N. 1993— Flammable liquids, n.o.s. (gasoline), U.N. 3475—Ethanol and gasoline mixture, Ethanol and motor spirit mixture, or Ethanol and petrol mixture, and N.A. 1993—Diesel Fuel or Fuel Oil.