Nominations sought for annual Trucking’s Top Rookie award

Nominations are now open for the 2019 Mike O’ConnellTrucking’s Top Rookie Award contest, presented by CCJ sister publication TruckersNews.

Truckers News is looking for the best driver who has been behind the wheel for no more than a year. The winner receives $10,000and a package of prizes. Nine other finalists will each receive $1,000 and prizes packages as well.

Read more

VTBA FMCSA Seeks Public Comment on Pilot Program to Allow Drivers Ages 18-20 to Operate CMVs in Interstate Commerce, Additional resources and information

Additional resources and information, including “Frequently Asked Questions,” available at:

May 14, 2019

Contact:  Kyle Bonini

Phone: (202) 366-9999

FMCSA Seeks Public Comment on Pilot Program to

Allow Drivers Ages 18-20 to

Operate Commercial Motor Vehicles in Interstate Commerce

WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Transportation’s(USDOT) Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) today announced that it is seeking public comment on a potential pilot program that would allow drivers ages 18-20 to operate commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) in interstate commerce.

“Commercial trucks and buses are essential to a thriving national economy, and the Department wants to ensure the public has an opportunity to comment on this important potential change,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine L. Chao.

Drivers ages 18-20 may currently only operate CMVs in intrastate commerce.  In July 2018, USDOT announced details of the Commercial Driver Pilot Program required under the FixingAmerica’s Surface Transportation (FAST) Act, which allows certain 18- to20-year-olds with military training to operate CMVs in interstate commerce.

Today’s action requests comments on a second pilot program to allow non-military drivers ages 18-20 to operate CMVs in interstate commerce.  FMCSA requests comments on the training, qualifications, driving limitations, and vehicle safety systems that FMCSA should consider in developing options or approaches for a second pilot program for younger drivers.

“We want input from the public on efforts that offer the potential to create more jobs in the commercial motor vehicle industry while maintaining the highest level of safety.  We encourage all CMV stakeholders to submit comments on a potential interstate pilot program for younger drivers,” said FMCSAAdministrator Raymond P. Martinez.

The Federal Register Notice, including how to submit comments, is available here:


VTBA Border Crossing With Enhanced Licenses

Dear Member,

Recently we had a member contact Vermont Truck and Bus Association office with a concern about crossing into Canada (and returning to Vermont) using an Enhanced Driver’s License (CDL).  Motor carrier members might begin to encounter difficulties with drivers who have been issued Enhanced Licenses from the Vermont DMV going through the renewal process.  This is what is happening:  Central Issuing (using an out of state vendor) is mailing licenses, after drivers finish the renewal process, to CDL (and non-CDL) operators.  What this means is that a driver will begin the renewal process by going into a DMV, completing the required forms and paying the required fee.  At this point, the driver must surrender their current license (valid or expired) and in exchange will receive a temporary paper copy.  This temporary Enhanced license cannot be used as ID when returning to the US from Canada as it is not a government-issued photo ID.  The expected turnaround for drivers to receive their new license is 7– 10 business days, which means 7 – 10 business days that drivers might not beable to perform their regular route (if that includes going into Canada). The reason for this email is two part:

Does your business model include delivering or picking up freight in/out of Canada:  Yes      No

If Yes, do you see the situation described above as being problematic?  If so, would you be willing to engage in conversation with VT DMV to enact a resolution that works for industry?

FYI – in NH this problem was resolved by the NH DMV clipping the corner of the valid license and returning to the license holder. 

Please see reference below from the US Customs and Border Protection website regarding temporary license.

U.Temporary Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)

Can I use a temporary Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL) or Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) receipt for the EDL to travel while I’m waiting for the official card?

No. A temporary Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL) or receipt provided by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is not a valid travel document.

Please give your feedback to Vera Tucker in the VTBA office, 802-479-1778, or

Thank you!

Robert J. Sculley

Executive Director Vermont Truck & Bus Association

Inspectors to focus on steering, suspension during June’s Roadcheck inspection blitz

The annual International Roadcheck 72-hour inspection blitz will be held June 4-6 with a focus on steering and suspension systems.

The Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance, which conducts the event each year, says steering and suspension are critical for all commercial vehicles.

Read more

The Impact of Marijuana Legalization on Transportation

Webinar Thursday, May 2, 2019

1:00-2:00 p.m. EST

Topics:  Legal, Human Resources and Operations

Thanks to the Workforce Solutions Webinar Sponsors, all audiences, regardless of TCA membership, are encouraged to join at no charge

Continuing Education Credits: This Live Learning webinar provides1 CE credit toward the Truckload Academy Human Resources Certificate (HR-OP, HH-RR, or HR-L) and renewal of the Truckload Academy Certificate of Fleet Management(CFM).

Register here